This week we have had the pleasure of keeping cousin Amelia while her mommy is at work. Hannah has been so excited and counting down the days. I was curious to see how she'd do with a little baby around all the time. She pretty much helped Ms Cybill with the babies at daycare all day, but I wasn't sure if that would transfer to mommy.
To get ready, we had to put together some of her old baby items. Not so terrible, since Hayden will also be using them soon. Hannah "helped" with each one and of course "Pacie Baby" and "Squeaky Baby" have all spend considerable amounts of time swinging and bouncing since then. I tried to get Hayden's room ready so Amelia could have a quiet place to nap. Hannah was way to excited about all of it. All of Hayden's toys and books and clothes have been tried out, and make appearances around the house frequently. She even discovered that the newborn onesies fit "Pacie Baby".
Monday morning Amelia came and Hannah has been the best big cousin since then. She spends the day helping me with her. Hands me the diapers and puts the yucky ones in the wet bag. Brings me toys, lets me know when she needs things, etc... I thought it would wear off after a few days, but she was still going strong yesterday (Wednesday). The only thing she doesn't seem to like is drool and/or spit up. To her it's all the same, and it grosses her out. She's been awesome. I'd even offer to let her watch Seasame Street or Dora, and she'd turn me down! While Amelia was napping, Hannah would sneak upstairs and peek in the door (seriously quiet for a 3 year old) to make sure she was okay and then come back down to report to me that she was still sound asleep. Hannah was also the first one in the room as soon as Amelia cried out that she was okay..."it's okay, big cousin Hannah is here!". Her favorite activity is to say, "Mommy, tell Amelia to watch how big girls...", and then she'd proceed to show Amelia whatever it was (potty, wipe, climb into her bed, put on her shoes, etc...). I have actually had to do very little for Hannah at all this week. We've had VBS in the evenings this week as well and I've taken Amelia with us to the church to meet her Mommy and/or Daddy after work. Hannah sung songs to Amelia the entire way there yesterday, just to try to get her to smile. It was super sweet. I'm very encouraged about how things may go once Hayden arrives. I have a feeling we'll be trying to get her to help less (she doesn't understand why she can't pick her up from things or carry her around). Fingers crossed!
It seems that Hayden may be eager to join us, or that Mommy has just not taken it easy enough during her 8th month of pregnancy (moving a classroom and house, unpacking, VBS, babysitting, etc...). Today was my 35 week appointment and I was sentenced to "modified" bed rest. I'm not supposed to walk around much, keep my feet up, etc... She said that means no shopping trip pushing the carts and walking around either. I go back on Tuesday to see if it helped any, if not, I"ll be on complete bed rest for at least a week. We're trying to make it to 37 weeks so he'll be as healthy/safe as possible. Today I was 50 % effaced and 1 cm dialated. He is already trying to engage, she could feel his head pushing on my cervix (could have told you that one without the exam!). This could stay the same for several weeks if I'm careful, but to be safe...I'm going to do my best to follow the doctors orders. Stay put Hayden!
Old Favorites
10 months ago



No comments:
Post a Comment